Monday, May 7, 2007

Splendor of the sea







The movie "Jaws" ruined the ocean for me. I usually don't go in unless I can see everything around me for miles. The Jamaican waters are crystal clear so I thought it would be safe if I just hung out next to the boat when we went snorkeling. I had not intention of snorkeling, just floating, but our captain, Marshall, made me take a mask when I ventured into the water. I was glad he did because you didn't have to snorkel to enjoy the underwater beauty of the reefs, you just had to put your face in the water.
Never more than six feet from the boat, I swam with the damsels, trigger fish and wrasses. Our captain made a life jacket rubber ducky for me and I floated happily above the reefs seeing all the way to the bottom content that the only great white in the water was me!
Marshall led a team of snorkeling enthusiasts over to the Midshore reef (anchor and canon reef) where they saw an ancient 15th century canon and anchor. I wasn't brave enough to swim that far. One of the guys on the boat kept feeding the fish so I could see them without leaving the fake security zone next to the boat. Like I said, Every Amenity.
On the way back to port, cameras came out when we passes Hedonism. Telescope lenses snapped shots of the naked bathers on the beach. Gawking was common. We also ran into a small herd of dolphins traveling behind a skiff. It wasn't much of a sight after the experience at Dana's Point but it was thrilling to be surrounded by wildlife in the protected waters of Jamaica.
After our trip Paul and I went for a couples massage on the beach. The two women massaged us while Paul kept them entertained claiming that I sucked at massaging and he was marrying the woman working on him. No MVS for him!!!