Monday, May 7, 2007

Jamaica













There is nothing like landing on an island in a rainstorm. I did it once before on the way to Maui. Lightening crackled around the plane and I swore the plane was going down. It didn't but the pilot missed the runway and we had to go back up and reland. Luckily that didn't happen in Jamaica but I was thinking about the experience until our wheels hit ground. A huge sigh of relief.
The weather was wet and humid, typical for the tropics. We made it through customs and I actually got a stamp in my passport. For some reason, alot of countries don't stamp passports but Jamaica did. I like to save my passports with the the different stamps but they have been stolen so Jamaica is my first offical stamp in my new passport.

We boarded a bus for the long (almost two hours) trip to Negril on curvy roads through lush hills. School children in uniforms filled the sugar shack lined streets. Poverty was visible everywhere. When we arrived at the Grand Lido resort it was like arriving at the doors of paradise. The grounds were beautifully landscaped and manicured, the staff friendly and helpful, the welcome cocktail reception welcomed.
Our room was a suite which opened onto the all inclusive clothing optional beach. Every amenity was provided. After a quick shower we lunched at the Treehouse restaurant and then Paul went to work. I checked out the beach. Lounge chair lounging is something I do well.